New York Air Brake
We are an equal opportunity employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color or any other protected class.
Director of Engineering
- Create discipline specific technology strategies that complement existing or potential company strategies
- Develop, define and implement technology roadmaps that complement Marketing Product Roadmaps.
- Defines, implements and audits best practice and relevant architecture for product platforms, where applicable.
- Promotes, maintains and facilitates Scrum Methodologies to all members of the NYAB community, including Subject Matter Experts (SME), Product Owners (PO), Scrum Masters (SM), Development Team Members (DTM) and ALL Friends of Teams (Scrum and non-scrum)
- Ensures knowledge and training needs of the NYAB Engineering community is implemented directly or through Subject Matter Experts (SME) on their staff.
- Coaches and mentors all members within the entire department discipline. This includes leading performance evaluations along with career planning goals.
- Identifies, implements, maintains and audits “Engineering Best Practices” directly or through SMEs.
- Overall responsibility for the quality of design outputs.
- May serve as a Subject Matter Expert in qualified topics and discipline.
- Facilitates the optimal application of current technology, engineering resources, outsourced design services and project contractors to meet product development and/or customer requirements.
- May directly or through SMEs review and guide the development of product requirements so they are properly documented and understood by all stakeholders early in the Product or Project Planning.
- Drive the architecture/design decisions needed to achieve cost-effective and high-performance results.
- Ensure implementation/continuous improvement of formal processes to support product development, growth, revenue, sales and individual employee achievements.
- Recruit, motivate and empower employees
- Strong operational skills in a product development environment.
- Must possess a history of strong leadership, deep practical engineering knowledge and proven record of accomplishment for timely project delivery, project management, cost control and customer satisfaction.
- Must strongly support the use of Scrum or Agile methodologies. Formal training in the use and roles of Scrum methodologies expected. An individual in this role is expected to lead, support and promote the use of Scrum methodologies throughout the department and organization.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment and will interface closely with Quality, Finance, Marketing and Sales and Operations.
- Bring knowledge and creativity to the position as well as have the discipline to drive results and follow established fundamental processes.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects including electronics, software, systems and mechanical design, solid understanding of current issues and needs.
- Ability to communicate effectively within all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated team building and leadership skills.
- Knowledge of financial, operations, sales and marketing as related to product design and development.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and innovate.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated:
- Strategy Vision
- Managing Improving Processes
- Creativity Innovation
- Analytical Thinking
- Leading Others
Required Work Experience: 8+ years Engineering in respective field; 3+ years Management
Required Education: Bachelor Degree; MS Preferred Degree Field: Engineering
KPI:Capital and expense budgets; project completion rates; risk management metrics; design quality (hardware and software metrics); compliance to corporate policies; people turnover rate.
Direct Personnel: 5 – 40 employees. Director serves as a Resource Coach to most employees. Staff Engineers may report to the Director in a traditional subordinate relationship.
Training/Certifications: Masters in Business Administration a Plus and Desired
Watertown, New York, United States
Location/Region: Watertown, NY (US - 13601)